top of page

Quick Links

Safeguarding advice for Adults at Risk in Total Taekwondo.

Total  Taekwondo is committed to creating and maintaining a safe and positive environment and accepts our responsibility to safeguard the welfare of all adults involved in Total Taekwondo in accordance with the Care Act 2014.

Below you will find answers to frequently asked questions.

What is The Care Act 2014

The Care Act 2014 made key changes to adult social care with a new general duty to “Promote individual well-being”.

The Care Act applies to all people aged over 18 even when they may be receiving what may be thought of as a “children” or “young people’s” service, for example a 21 year old training with an under 18’s sports team. Within the Act there has been a marked shift away from using the term ‘vulnerable’ to describe adults potentially ‘at risk’ from harm or abuse.

Who is an an adult at risk?

The Care Act defines safeguarding duties that apply to an adult who:

  • Has needs for care and support (whether or not the local authority is meeting any of those needs) and;

  • Is experiencing, or is at risk of, abuse or neglect; and;

  • As a result of those care and support needs is unable to protect themselves from either the risk of, or the experience of, abuse or neglect.

“Adult safeguarding” is working with adults with care and support needs to keep them safe from abuse or neglect. It is an important part of what many public services do, and a key responsibility of local authorities.’ Care Act 2014.

What is the process with dealing with concerns?

You may become aware that abuse or poor practice is taking place, suspect abuse or poor practice may be occurring or be told about something that may be abuse or poor practice and you must report this to Total Taekwondo’s Safeguarding officer through emailing this form to requesting a call back. Please do not go into detail on an email. 

You should make a note of what the person has said using their own words as soon as practicable, take care to distinguish between fact, observation, allegation and opinion. It is important that the information you have is accurate.

As long as it does not increase the risk to the individual, you should explain to them that it is your duty to share your concern and advise them who you will be sharing it with.

Be mindful of the need to be confidential at all times, this information must only be shared with Safeguarding & Compliance Manager of the National Governing Body or Welfare Officer and others on a need-to-know basis.

If you are concerned someone is in immediate danger, contact the police.

It is important when considering your concern that you also consider the needs and wishes of the person at risk, taking into account the nature of the alert.

I am an adult at risk, Where can I get help?

Depending on why you are at risk will depend on where you will go for help. Below are some of the main organisations who can provide you with help:

Your GP – A good place to start if you need support would be your GP. You may have a good relationship with them and they will better understand your needs and can help you on a more personal level. They will also be able to refer you if you are struggling with your mental health – more information on referrals can be found here.

Samaritans – You may not want to discuss your situation with us, which is fine. There are many charities and organisations out there who are happy to help 24/7, 365 days a year. The Samaritans are one of these fantastic organisations that are there to offer you a safe place for you to talk anytime you like and in your own way.

More information on the Samaritans can be found on their website or they can be contacted on 116 123.

Mind – For when the situation is a lot tougher than expected, you can speak with Mind. They are an organisation who is there to help people who may suffer from mental health conditions and so much more. They provide advice and support to empower anyone experiencing a mental health problem.

More information on Mind can be found on their website or they can be contacted on 020 8519 2122.

If you need urgent help, please click here, then click on the ‘I need urgent help’ button at the top of the page. Mind provide a service to provide urgent help to those in need and their tool is designed to help you understand and manage your situation when you feel like you need help.

Where can I find more information on safeguarding adults at risk?

The Ann Craft Trust are in place as a leading authority in safeguarding disabled children and adults from abuse. Their aim is to create a world where people live safely, free from the risk of abuse.

Their website provides advice, guidance and knowledge relating to Adults at Risk and it can be found here.

They have created a sport resource pack which will help provide more specific guidance around adult safeguarding and sport. This resource can be found here.

bottom of page